Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:59:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co (Pedro Giffuni)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD really a project? (introduction to WISE)

Pedro Giffuni recently commented, with respect to a
WWW-based project manager:

> I don't consider FreeBSD a project because, technically speaking, a
> project has precisely defined it's start and it's ending dates.  The
> initiation of the FreeBSD project evidently existed, but the goals seem
> very generic, and we don't really want this end. In purely bureaucratic
> linings, FreeBSD wouldn't be considered a project.

True, but "The FreeBSD Project" has created a number of "projects" in
the past.  Each "release" of FreeBSD is really a project in it's own
right, with ongoing development on the -current branch.  Once a
release is started, it typically gets a number of changes that are
then applied back to -current; these are typically bugfixes.

>From a source code control standpoint, CVS is quite good at this.
The model adopted by FreeBSD has been used by a number of commercial
users I am familiar with, including my previous employer.

> This makes me think we would have to do modifications on this software
> to help in the purpose of enhancing FreeBSD's development (was Jordan
> suggesting something like this when someone proposed to shoot him? :-)
> ). Anyway, we should test this...

Perhaps not.  If this is basically a problem tracking and reporting
system, I don't really think we would have to make changes.  Whenever
a new release is undertaken, say a 2.2.5 or 3.0, a "project" for that
release would be created.  The project would be closed out when a
superceding release comes out -- 2.2.2 closes 2.2.1, etc.