Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 16:41:18 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, spork@super-g.com (spork), tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blacklisting and being "asked" to deinstall FreeBSD - you heard that right!

> representing us called you until just a couple of minutes ago. Jordan is not
> representing the core team if he has told you to do the above, and he does
> not have the support of any of us in this issue.

It's also not what I told Karl, but he will slant things as he will.
I suggested he might want to seek other alternatives if we were such
cretins in his eyes (his letter have hardly been complimentary up to
now, let's put it that way) and that OpenBSD seemed to have a security
policy more in-line with his own demands.

Ironically, the whole call started with my asking Karl how we were
going to deal with all of this and if he could possibly moderate his
style and toss in less of these "NOW!" demands that have everyone so
up in arms so that there might actually be some future for all of us.
He wanted no part of such a discussion as he did not see himself as
any component of the problem, so I then suggested that since he had
garnered so much ill-will here (and he has) and did not see any value
in a more moderate approach, he might investigate OpenBSD.  This was
an option which Karl not only flat-out refused but somehow took as an
injunction to "leave", as if such could even be possible with a free
software project, and an accusation that I even refuted during the
conversation by telling him that of course I couldn't "stop him from
running FreeBSD" and I was merely suggesting what seemed to be a
better alternative for him (if even half of OpenBSD's security claims
can be believed).

I still feel that way.  However, I do not see why Karl feels so
compelled to discuss all of this in inappropriate mailing lists like
this one, and I think that it really does need to go to -chat RIGHT
NOW to borrow some caps from Karl or see the rest of this thread
filtered for abusing the mailing list charter.  That is no more or
less than we've requested from others in the past, and if Karl feels
singled-out by the need to obey basic netiquette then that's hardly my
fault.

To most folks who've been forced to endure this so far, it's just
unwelcome noise and lots of it.  I don't need it, you don't need it,
core doesn't need it and I daresay that Karl doesn't need it.

					Jordan