Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2014 22:32:50 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improving /etc/motd and ANSI

Warren Block wrote this message on Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 18:01 -0600:
> As another experiment, here is a version using whitespace:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd.whitespace
>
> While it's not as clear as the ANSI version, it is better than the
> troff-style quotes version.  Still requires 7-bit ASCII, though. :)

The whitespace one is good, but you should have a : after the with...

Also, we should reference a url for questions or problems, and not
include questions@ in the motd...  The url can better include
information, and other places to find help, like for forums..

P.S. I've always been confused what command means.. Does it mean the
program, or the program w/ the arguments?  The sh man page does not
define it, but uses command to mean both the program ("set built-in
command") and the program with arguments ("commands can be typed
directly").  Even the wikipedia page is confuses the two...  Is there
no good way to tell the distinguish the two?  The reason I ask is that
me knowing too much thought of this:
$ "man man"
man man: not found

But that's just me.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579