Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:27:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - A linuxdoc section

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Hiten Pandya wrote:

HP> do you think it would be good if we had a section on
HP> the 'docs' page for linuxdoc based documents which
HP> could be used with FreeBSD.

(assuming this sentence to be a question)

No, I don't.

The problem with providing linux documentation is that the linux userland
is somewhat different, and increasingly so, from the FreeBSD userland.
There is clearly a lot of linux documentation which will work verbatim
with FreeBSD but by far the majority of it is either subtly or completely
different.  This is not a problem for experienced users who understand the
differences but for new users this is likely to increase confusion when
something doesn't work exactly as advertised.  Increased confusion leads
to increased frustration which leads to increased mailing list traffic and
increased abandonment.

(It's sad to see that so many people playing around with linux and FreeBSD
have absolutely no clue what they are doing.  I know of one linux user who
was easily convinced, by someone who shall remain nameless, to dd blank
data over the first few blocks of his hard drive thus rendering his system
unbootable.)

On a purist note, FreeBSD needs to be seen to be different from (and
better than) linux in all the areas where it is.  If we are providing
linux documentation it blurs the distinction and makes the arguments for
switching from linux to FreeBSD appear weaker.

I have no objection to pointing out to people that in some cases linux
documentation may be helpful when trying to configure various things.  I
also have no objection to using more links to HowTOs, from articles and
the like, where the author of the FreeBSD documentation knows that the
HowTO will likely be helpful.  I don't think, however, that providing them
as part of the FreeBSD documentation is a good idea from any point of
view.

There are three ways to approach this problem, in order of increasing
difficulty:

1) Ignore
2) Link
3) Create

From a personal point of view I would prefer that useful linux
documentation be 'ported' (re-written by someone who understands the
subject well) to FreeBSD but linking where appropriate is also a good
idea.

Incidentally, is the PPPPP so bad that we need to link to the linux ppp
HowTO?  If it is then this needs fixed pretty rapidly.

--
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>