Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 07:14:09 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syncing CTM and SNAPS?

>> If you make a SNAP based on any ctm source, then it is unnecessary to
>> distribute the source distributions as a part of the SNAP. In fact, this
>> idea could be extended to the regular release distributions.
>
>Well, there's the `subdivision problem' you yourself mention.

I'm wondering if we should subdivide the CTM distributions.
If we did that, I see no reason that the source distribution files could
not be in CTM format rather than their current compressed form.

>All the
>nice menus for picking-and-chosing in the src tree would go away.

See above.

>One more item labeled `CTM Base Delta'
>won't hurt!  I'd assume that there could be a symlink on the ftp
>site (wherever that might be?) always pointing to the most recent
>base delta?

You gain little for the user if you do not provide the mechanism to get
both a base and the update thereafter. If he has to ftp to get some past
updates, he might as well get the base at the same time.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net