Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:43:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: STOP THE BLOODY CROSS POSTING!

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Wait, wait. I did not suggest to _encourage_ crossposting... But
> if something happens to belong (in poster's opinion) to -multimedia,
> -mobile, and -current there should be a way to send it there without
> annoying people who are subscribed to all three.

Here we have, I believe, the crux of the argument.

If something happens to belong in -multimedia, -mobile, and
-current (and poster's opinion had damn better agree with the
opinion of the list charters on this), then it should be posted
to all three.

There should be a way of doing the above without annoying people
who are subscribed to all three.

At this point we realize that the technology implementing this
has been around for a long time.  You're only remaining complaint
is about the amount of resources used, and frankly, I just don't
buy that.  Not if cross-posting is used appropriately.

The kind of cross-posting that I believe Jordan was complaining
about is the kind of cross-posting that is used only to gain a
larger audience.  Without checking, I'm quite confident that all
mailing-list policies allow for cross-posting when it really is
appropriate.  Because of your initial reply to Jordan's message,
you certainly seemed to be encouraging cross-posting.  Forgive me
on that wrong assumption.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.