Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:59:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chad M. Fraleigh" <chadf@bookcase.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bcopy implementation

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Mikael Karpberg wrote:

> According to Dave Marquardt:

> Well, if you want everything to go faster, you optimize for the hardware
> you're actually gonna run on. Now, it would be quite possible too add
> ifdefs so that you would add -DOPTIMIZE_FOR_PENTIUM to CFLAGS in make.conf
> and then make world. And libc would be compiled with that optimization, etc.

	If you were only to do this for the shared libc, and not the
static one it should be rather safe. That way someone can't statically
link a binary, then copy it to another non-Pentium FreeBSD system without
realizing the mistake. Is there a define set to differenciate when doing
shared vs static lib compiles? (I would assume there is, but I've never
looked).

-Chad