Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:45:30 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why I hate Redhat and Oracle .....

Dan Langille wrote:
> > PLEASE ORACLE, PORT YOUR DAMN PRODUCT TO FREEBSD.
>
> That would be nice.

Oracle already runs on FreeBSD.  The NCP server was Oracle on
FreeBSD; the client machines were NetBSD-based boxed (non-Intel);
if FreeBSD had been there, they probably would have used FreeBSD
for the clients, too.

At the time Whistle played with it, we checked to see just how
vanilla it was: Julian tarred up the thing, untarred it, and
ran it on a straight FreeBSD box.  John Dyson was involved in
the port, and some of his fixes to pipe speed and shared memory
management were done specifically in support of Oracle.

What hasn't happened is that it has not been released by them as
a supported product (unless you count the NCP server itself; most
of the cost in a product is in support, especially for products
like databases, which tend to require a lot of training, hand
holding, etc.).

Really annoying, since the code ran on FreeBSD long before it
ever ran on Linux.  8-(.

There was a rumor at one point about Yahoo levering them to get
a FreeBSD version released based on actual sales.  I don't know
what happened there.

On the other side of the coin, it al least used to run under the
Linux ABI on FreeBSD, at one point, so that may also be an option.

-- Terry