Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:35:22 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        "N. Harrington" <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to solve mysterious system lockups?

N. Harrington wrote:
> --- Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>> N. Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>   I have several systems that are used as squid
>>> caching servers. I have some systems that use SCSI
>>> disks and some  that use SATA disks. They are
>>> identical in everyway except for the sata vs SCSI
>>> drives.
>>>
>>>  At random times, the sata based systems seem to
>>>
>> be
>>
>>> freezing. You can ping them and they respond, but
>>>
>> you
>>
>>> cannot log in. Nor are any logs processed during
>>>
>> that
>>
>>> time.
>>>
>>>  I figure it mist be something to do with the
>>>
>> disks,
>>
>>> but I am not sure how to solve it. There seems to
>>>
>> be
>>
>>> little rhyme or reason. It does not happen
>>>
>> necessarily
>>
>>> during busy times. It can happen in the middle of
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> night.
>>>
>>>  Any pointers in how to track down the cause would
>>>
>> be
>>
>>> much appreciated.
>>>
>>>  Tyan S2881 Motherboard - 4gigs mem
>>>  Using 4 SATA (or scsi) drives
>>>  FreeBSD amd64 6.2-STABLE.
>>>
>>>  Thanks!
>>>
>>>   Nicole
>>>

>> Nicole,
>>     What's the driver in use for the SATA and the
>> SCSI drives?
>> -Garrett
>>

>  Hi Garret
>  Here is the driver info.
>
> -- SATA
>
> atapci0: <SiI 3114 SATA150 controller> port
> 0xbc00-0xbc07,0xb400-0xb403,0xb000-0xb007,0xac00-0xac03,0xa800-0xa80f
>
> mem
> 0xfeafec00-0xfeafefff irq 17 at device 5.0 on pci3
> ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
> ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
> ata4: <ATA channel 2> on atapci0
> ata5: <ATA channel 3> on atapci0
> pci3: <display, VGA> at device 6.0 (no driver
> attached)
> isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
> isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
> atapci1: <AMD 8111 UDMA133 controller> port
> 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xffa0-0xffaf at
> device 7.1 on pci0
> ata0: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
> ata1: <ATA channel 1> on atapci1
> pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 7.2 (no driver
> attached)
> pci0: <bridge> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
> pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 10.0 on pci0
> pci2: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
>
> -- SCSI
>
> ahd0: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> port
> 0x8000-0x80ff,0x7800-0x78ff
> mem 0xfc89c000-0xfc89dfff irq 24 at device 10.0 on
> pci2
> ahd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> aic7902: Ultra320 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, PCI-X
> 67-100Mhz, 512 SCBs
> ahd1: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> port
> [...]
Ok, so it's an AMD 8111 northbridge versus an Adaptec onboard SCSI
controller.

1. What release / version of FreeBSD are you using? You should upgrade
to 6.2 STABLE because there have been a variety of issues worked out in
previous releases.
2. Do you have any logs for activity during the hours when it locks up
(in particular anything interesting / fishy popping up)?
3. What scheduler are you using? 4BSD, ULE?
4. Does your machine (using the SATA controllers) lock up under heavy
load? If so, you may have a northbridge cooling issue that you need to
put a fan on. For instance, the motherboard that I was using for a while
(ASUS P5N-E SLI) was really close to my CPU heatsink, and there was a
lot of heat transfer between my northbridge and CPU heatsink, which was
raising the onboard temperatures 5~10 degrees C. The new motherboard
(ASUS P5B DLX) doesn't do that though.

Cheers,
-Garrett