Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:42:07 -0600
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Aaron Holmes <evil@evildomain.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam filters

On Mon 3 Oct 05 04:08, Aaron Holmes <evil@evildomain.org> wrote:
> Any recomendations on good spam filters?

SpamAssassin, which is actually a combination of anti-spam
programs/filters: /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin

I have had great success with it using Bayes, Razor2, Pyzor, DCC, and
the URI RBL checks. I have recently added SPF and DomainKeys. Note that
the licenses for some of these are commercial or non-free, but that
mainly applies to commercial use. If you're a home or non-commercial
user, you can enable them, but you have to do it manually with the .pre
files in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin Also note that Bayes is only
effective with proper training, so you should have a good sample of
actual spam you receive. If not, it will take a while for Bayes to
learn enough to be utilized. I get no false positives and almost no
missed spam (well over 99% accuracy), but I am not running it on a
multi-user mail system, though I do use it for multiple addresses.

See the Wiki: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/

- jt