Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 2010 01:27:19 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        Torsten Kersandt <torsten@cnc-london.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [zfs][hardware] Reproducible kernel panic in 8.0-STABLE

--------------enig49D61561A0D51C75B4C9124D

Torsten Kersandt wrote:
> Hi Stephane
>=20
> I currently use some excellent cards from Supermicro, and these seem to=
 be
> the only 8 port PCIx and PCI-E available on the market running on=20
> The marvel chipset.
> I would not use them for RAID but as SATA/SAS controllers very good.
>=20
> Supermicro 8 Port SATA 2 Card (PCI/PCI-X) AOC-SAT2-MV8
> Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, 8-Port (PCI-E)SAS/SATA Card
>=20
> For about =A380.00/USD130.00 each - not bad
>=20
> Regards
> Torsten

Actually, I do have both cards.

I have been using them for one year now, and I can say this about both=20
of them :

-> Supermicro 8 Port SATA 2 Card (PCI/PCI-X) AOC-SAT2-MV8

This is what I am using right now, I have a server with two of them.=20
It's chip is a Marvell MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller.

I had virtually nothing to say against this card while using it under=20
FreeBSD up to 7.2-STABLE, but it seems drive hotplug handling is truly=20
lacking in 8.X, though whether this is a problem on the card's side or=20
on some recent change in ATA handling on FreeBSD's side is lost on me.

But the current reality is that I am getting random kernel panics for=20
what seems to be ATA queue handling woes.

Also, re-detection of drives in BIOS seems to be utterly buggy, so the=20
above hotplug handling problem might be related to the hardware itself.

-> Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, 8-Port (PCI-E)SAS/SATA Card

This controller does not have a driver for FreeBSD, as of 8.0-STABLE,=20
and documentation for it is not public. I have asked sam@ for advice and =

help on obtaining documentation.

As an additional comment :

Plus, I tried it under Linux, and the mvsas driver available for it is=20
less than satisfying. Drive disconnection/hiccups handling is severely=20
lacking, and I busted several mdadm RAIDs while using this card in test=20
machines, upon "going over the speed limit" and losing all plugged in=20
drives until next reboot.

(To be fair, the SVN version of the mvsas driver is a little more=20
stable, but in a "I will only disconnect one drive at a time, so if you=20
see one drive going down, you'll have the time to shut down the RAID=20
array" way.)

(As a result, I couldn't exactly say I am satisfied with Marvell on=20
FreeBSD so far. I am seriously considering going for Areca.)

Best regards,
--=20
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."
--MegaTokyo