Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:12:32 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        dmaddox@conterra.com, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Tom Torrance <freebsd@tomqnx.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_3 boot panic

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 02:56:10PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Hmmm...  I had the same problem as Tom yesterday, and I never used
> > > num_ide_disks before.  Now it doesn't work _unless_ I use num_ide_disks.
> >
> > Sorry to reply to my own message, but I just realized that I added
> > root_disk_unit at the same time I added num_ide_disks, and _that_
> > is the one that is required now.  Before num_ide_disks was 'deprecated',
> > I needed neither of these.
>
> You either haven't rebuilt your loader, or you should be supplying us
> with more information.
>
> Please ensure your sources are up to date, rebuild the loader, and if
> you're still having trouble, consider offering us a little relevant
> detai.

This was after building a new kernel, followed by a full 'make world'.

Actually, I am not 'having trouble'...  I just find that after my
'make world' of 24 Jan, root_disk_unit is REQUIRED, or the boot will
fail when trying to mount my / partition.  Before, it worked just
fine with no hints at all.  The root partition is on the second IDE
disk in a system with 2 IDE disks and 1 SCSI disk.  I have found also
that the / partition is mounted sucessfully if I specify it as /dev/wd1a
instead of /dev/wd1s1a, even in the absence of root_disk_unit.