Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:07:13 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Anti-SPAM stuff

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:56:45 CST, "Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:

> how hard would it be to put some way for an 'exclude' list, instead
> of discrete NO_PERL and NO_SENDMAIL and NO_FOOTMASSAGE options? i.e.,
> 'don't build usr.bin/w and sbin/ping and usr.sbin/lpc', because we're
> running hacked versions, etc?

Hi Matthew,

I spent in excess of 40 person hours working on a scripted solution to
this, which I called localmods. It kept its own directory of local
source and ports tree hacks, and applied them after CVSup runs.

It turned out to be a huge waste of time because my guru pointed out
something very elegant called CVS, which I've been sold on ever since
and makes any such solution _completely_ unnecessary.

I assume you're using CVSup. It's a great tool, but the assumption is
that you don't make local changes to your copy of the source tree. If
you do, CVSup blatts them. This is a design feature.

When you have a little free time, look at the CVS info(1) page. Using
CVS, you'll be able to update your source tree without blowing away
local changes to the source tree.

That means that, for example, you can remove sendmail from the usr.sbin
Makefile once and it'll never build on your box again. :-)

Also useful in this regard is the mergemaster port, which allows you to
update /etc without blowing away your local changes to those files. :)

I can't remember how I survived without CVS and the mergemaster port.

Ciao,
Sheldon.