Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:40:44 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <freebsd@bitfreak.org>
To:        deeptech71@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsdmall.com prices

deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
> A full FreeBSD release costs like 40$.
<...>
> Who would buy it for that much money when you can download it for
> free?

I have multiple subscriptions, one going all the way back to 3.2 and
most since mid-4.x.

> Or does mailing a 4 CD set or a DVD really cost that much money?!

Actually shipping is $4.95 on top of the purchase cost, IIRC.  But then,
you do get pressed CDs instead of sticker-labeled CDR crap like certain
other software shippers.  And stickers!  Don't forget the stickers!  I
got bored one day and cut out and stuck little beastie heads on the
penguin logos on my friend's business's server farm.  Had I not bought
all those FreeBSD CD sets over the years, I'd have run short on beastie
heads and my dastardly plan would have been foiled!

> Either way, I think it is still more financially efficient if users
> download a copy and donate like 35$ via some online method.

You mean like download the ISOs at ftp.freebsd.org, then hop over to
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/ and send the Foundation your
$35 via check/MO/Paypal?