Date:      30 Jul 1999 13:05:59 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Andrew Loree <loree.3@wright.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100Mhz Bus

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:43:40 -0400, Andrew Loree <loree.3@wright.edu> said:

Andrew> This is not really freebsd related, but I just ordered a K-6
Andrew> 3D Now! 400 cpu, and, not really thinking about it, I am still
Andrew> using 128 MB of good old EDO ram.  Do I need 100 mhz memory to
Andrew> use this cpu?  Or does it depended upon the mb I am using (FIC
Andrew> VA503+ super baby 7).

To get maximum throughput on the bus you should use "PC-100"
memory. The FIC you mention has boatloads of jumbers so you can run
the system and memory busses at different speeds and take advantage of
your old memory. The FIC docs that come with the mobo talk about
this (in a confusing and less-than-perfectly-helpful way).
You chould check the FIC mobo newsgroup. Lots of info there on this.

I've been running  a K6/2-300 on FIC503+ for about a year now with no
problems. Well, except the onboard bios doesn't grok SCSI so I
couldn't boot from my scsi drives, and I don't do IDE :-(. Someone
pointed me to a SCSI bios shim image and procedures to add it to your
bios, then reflash and it's been working fine. (what a hack!)