Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:20:09 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, n_hibma@FreeBSD.ORG, joe@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB->ATA devices

In message <20020827122010.GA5438@spc.org>, Bruce M Simpson writes:
>The exception to the rule would seem to be devices behind USB->ATA bridges;
>some of the bridge chips on the market (OnSpec for example) implement a
>protocol which is nonstandard and is composed of the ATA task register file
>writes one would normally make in the ISA or PCI i/o address space.

If you're interested, I wrote a functional but incomplete driver
for a similar device, the Prolific Technology PL2307 bridge. I just
implemented the conversion for a minimal set of ATA commands in the
driver itself; it would obviously be better to have the ATA layer
in a separate driver though. The code for that driver is at:

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/FreeBSD/uplata.tgz

Ian