Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:16:39 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Use a Daemon as a Symbol since it alienates many?

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 10:17 AM, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:31:10PM +0200, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
>> 	I think you are missing the whole point here. Let me make it a little
>> more clear to you. Suppose we ask this question to two different types
>> of people "Hey, what do you think about Beastie? What does it remind
>> you
>> of?" and show them Beastie. First group is FreeBSD users or users that
>> know this litle cute, and as you claim "daemon", second group is the
>> the
>> wide majority of people that know nothing about PCs and hardly even
>> use
>> Windblows. I wonder what do u think each group will respond to this
>> question?
>>
> Why not try a poll. And so what if people say "it's a devil/demon" ?
> You make the assumption they have to be exorcised immediately.
> People who use expressions such as "wide majority of people" usually
> say it in the expectation that everyone agress with them, without any
> single shred of evidence for such a statement.
>
> I will shut up now, I have obviously been possessed and should know
> better than to pursue this singularly ridiculous line that
> approximately
> 2 people on this list think the daemon offends people.
>
> Murder, rape, war, erosion of civil liberties, terror -- all these are
> indulged in by people of most religions and of none. Personally I would
> be more terrified the day someone points an AK47 at my head.. which is
> happening to people as we speak, by people who may well pray to their
> God
> on a regular basis. That is "offensive". Not some cartoon character
> daemon.

Personally, I find it more offensive when someone tries to dictate what
I should find offensive(I am not referring to anyone on this list btw).
  There is nothing sinister about that though.  I am left-handed too,
there is an interesting origin to the word sinister.   If someone has
the time to be so offended by Beastie, well it's a lot like those who
go out everyday to protest this or that.  They need a job ;)

--Larry