Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:33:50 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not updating /etc

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:23:08PM -0700, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> Well, seeing as to how easy it is with mergemaster, there isn't really any
> reason not to. But wouldn't the system just boot like whatever I was
> previosly running? I don't see why it would hurt to leave it alone if one
> wanted to, but then again what do I know. :)

There have been at least two occasions for me when a failure to run
mergemaster would have resulted in an unusable system. I'm positive that
the first one was when an option in /etc/ssh/sshd_config was deprecated,
and sshd would fail to load if the deprecated option was present.
Without mergemaster, this would have left my remote machine dead in the
water. ISTR that the other time was ssh as well, changes to
/etc/pam.conf...

Mostly, it seems to be safe not to, but I never take chances. At least
always run it, and see what the changes are...

--
Greg White