Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:42:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else think it's about time to beat a WEB server to death?

[freebsd-announce trimmed out of the Cc list]

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> If the httpd is started from inetd, then the limit is dictated by no
> more than 256 requests in any 60 second period, unless you override
> this at inetd startup time by increasing the number of requests
> allowed per 60 seconds using a -R when you start it in the rc file.

    Someone ought to update the man page then:

   -R rate
           Specifies the maximum number of times a service can
           be invoked in one minute; the default is 1000.

> You can kill most BSD inetd based FTP servers this way now, actually,
> using a -d 0 on an ncftp retry when the server is already loaded.  I
> saw ftp.mv.com go down the other day when an associate stupidly kicked
> the retry delay to 0.

    I had this problem last week with our FTP server getting shut down
by inetd.  Running "inetd -d" showed 6 or 7 ftp connections per
second, which works out to around 400 requests per minute, and I
couldn't figure out why inetd was killing it off when the default
limit was supposedly 1000 retries per minute.  It reminded me to read
the source code, not the documentation.  ;-)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.