Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:17:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting netatalk to work on 2.2.5R

As John Fieber wrote...
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > Has anyone succeeded in getting netatalk to work on FreeBSD 2.2.5R? I've
> > been figgling around without much luck.
>
> There are some post-release patches which are essential.  Check
> the errata page on www.freebsd.org/releases.

Right.. My mistake. I only applied the patches that are on the netatalk
www site.  It seems there are multiple patches around, some for the
kernel code, some for netatalk itself.

Interestingly enough I can now run an unpatched netatalk 1.4b2, having applied
the kernel patches.

There is unfortunately a side effect of the kernel patches: they break fddi
support:

cc -c -O -pipe -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../..
-I../../../include -DUKKEYMAP -DIPDIVERT -DFIFO -DCOM_BIDIR -DTCP_COMPAT_42 -DCOMPAT_43
-DNFS -DFFS -DNETATALK -DINET -Di486 -DKERNEL  ../../net/if_fddisubr.c
../../net/if_fddisubr.c: In function `fddi_output':
../../net/if_fddisubr.c:233: too many arguments to function `at_ifawithnet'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I hope to find time to fix this, apparantly the patches break some
interface inside the kernel. Can some kind soul check if this is fixed
in 2.2.6R already?

Wilko