Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:18:49 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Daniel Blankensteiner <db@traceroute.dk>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD daemon configurations redesign

Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group wrote:

> In message <3CF7E342.C351A12E@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
> > Daniel Blankensteiner wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm also taling about config files.
> >
> > Seperate config files is a bad idea.  We tolerate it now because
> > a lot of things wouldn't fit into rc.conf (like the sendmail
> > configuration data).  For things that can, they should.  Your
> > examples were all things that can.  I don't understand the
> > benefit of breaking them up, except to have more files to worry
> > about, and more things that need to be writeable (or symlinked
> > and moved, when / isn't writeable).
>
> IBM's ODM gives you the best of both worlds, a centrally managed
> database which generates our beloved files.  The AIX team here has yet
> to see it break but they shudder to think what they'd do if it did.

They haven't been around long enough then.  I used to explode the
ODM on AIX 3.1.5 on a daily basis.  I would've been much fonder of
ODM back then if IBM had actually bothered to produce some readable
documentation on it; it is a good system once they stabilized it
around AIX 3.2.3 or so.

> Ideally what I would like to see is a port of Tivoli to FreeBSD.

Sorry, Unisys wouldn't let us get away with that.  </oops>