Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 17:59:43 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

Richard Foulk writes:
> Rewind and verify is unnecessary on Exabytes.  They do their own verify.
> That's one of the reasons they're so robust.  If a write fails they just
> write again on the next section of tape.

Same holds true with 4mm (DDS) and real-QIC (QIC-150 and the like).

> I've had good results with 10-year old tapes written on various drives.
> Mostly on Sony tapes.
>
> Compatibility and longevity haven't been a problem.  There were some
> compatibility problems when Exabytes were new, but have long-since
> been fixed.
>
> Data quality tapes are necessary for the higher density drives.  The
> 8200's work fine with good quality video tapes.
>
> On anything above an 8200 video tapes are not recommended.  On 8200's
> they are the right choice.

I have trashed too many Exabyte 8505's trying to read data on video
tapes to accept your statement. I'm not just worried about reading the
data, its just that the only times (about twice per year) I've messed up
an Exabyte drive has been when a video tape has been inserted.