Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:26:07 -0600
From:      amir@comtrol.com (Amir Farah)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   isdn

>To: hackers@freebsd.com
>From: amir@comtrol.com (Amir Farah)
>Subject: isdn
>
>Hi
>
>Here is one everyone can chew on over thanksgiving:
>
>I have an ISDN board along with software from LINK TECHNOLOGY which
provides layers 1 to 3 for an ISDN board. I was able to implement layer 4 as
a driver in FreeBSD 2.1 and invoke layers 1 to 3 from the LINK software. The
Link software sees the board and configures the directory # and spid # I
provided. I could code a number and spid for an outgoing call and the LINK
software would do it for me. The problem is: how to write the driver to
support ppp (which is all I want to do at this point). Eventually multi-link

>I looked at "an intermediate level for ISDN drivers" just now, the file
isdn.c in /sys/gnu/isdn, and thought of the following approach:

>I could write a driver that makes calls to routines in
/sys/gnu/isdn/iitty.c for a tty layer and replace the file isdn.c with my
own interface which builds commands for the LINK software. LINK would then
handle call setup and data transfers between the driver and the isdn board.
Does that sound like a sane approach and is this the sort of situation that
the routines in /sys/gnu/isdn were designed for??