Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:14:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Does anybody out there care?  What I see is that they will get the
> impression "these free UNIXes attract a strange, aggressive kind of
> person, each saying \"My UNIX is better than your UNIX\"".

I think some do. The idea was not to start a pissing match with linux or
NT. It was simply to point out the fact that FreeBSD works harder than
other OS's based on actual, verifiable, servers. And I think as previously
mentioned we have to pick our target audience. Which someone suggests
should be corporate america. And I agree with that. We cannot take the
desktop if someone donated 20 trillion dollars to FreeBSD Inc. tommorow :)
But we can take server markets, and alot of non-desktop markets. We just
need to focus and pick and choose our fights. And we NEED PR. We need to
start being visable. More so than we have up to now. Thats my thinking
anyway. We are gaining no ground. We need to change this and I think a PR
offensive is our best choice right now. It certainly cant do any worse
than our invisible image now :)

Chris

--
"I am closed minded. It keeps the rain out."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security