Date:      13 Sep 2001 13:26:44 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> writes:
> I would suggest reviewing your history. Nobody was sure who assisinated
> the Archduke of Austria, and yet WW I started.

Although I agree with your point, I'd say you're the one who needs to
review your history; Duke Ferdinand's murderer, Gavrilo Princip, was
apprehended on the scene, and turned out to be a South Slav student
acting (as far as can be determined) on his own initiative.

That said, Ferdinand's death had no real significance in and of
itself, but served only as a (semi-)plausible excuse for Austria-
Hungary to declare war on Serbia.  The ultimatum that Serbia was given
in late July was only a formality; it was intended to be rejected, and
was indeed promptly rejected, but it did play a significant part in
that it ruined the element of surprise from which Austria-Hungary
might have benefited.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org