Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:28:59 -0400
From:      Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 06:00 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Mario Freitas wrote:

>>> Hey!  I resent that.  I've used FreeBSD as my desktop for 5 years
>>> now.
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> If that's not good enough:
>>> http://freebsd.kde.org
>> I've used FreeBSD as my desktop for 4 years...
>> And as a __last__ explanation on what I wanted to say is that, IMHO,
>> "the main objective of FreeBSD" is not desktop but networking.
>> OSX and MS. Windows is more desktop oriented(doesn't necessarily mean
>> FreeBSD is worse for desktop than MS. Windows)
>> Finally, Did you understand what I meant?
>
> Possibly, but if I understand you, I still disagree with you.
>
> There's considerable effort that goes into integrating FreeBSD with KDE
> and Gnome and many other programs that make a spiffy Desktop.
>
> I wouldn't call the server role "the main objective" under any
> circumstances.  Personally, I would consider the main objective
> to be a stable, secure, fast OS that's flexible enough to drop into
> any role needed.  But that's just my opinion.

Ya'll do realize that this is a pointless conversation that has taken
place many times before, right?

I understand if it's all for fun and just for the sake of arguing, but
no one is ever going to agree or concede to anyone else's point. This
is about as fruitless as the 'which OS is best?' question.

FreeBSD can be a fabulous desktop _if you know how to use it as such_.
FreeBSD can be a fabulous server as well, _if you know how to use it as
such_. My toaster could be a fabulous server if I could just figure out
how to make ipf filter out forks and spoons and only allow in bagels.

C'mon now, people. ;)

Randi Harper

sektie@freebsdgirl.com
http://freebsdgirl.com