Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 19:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Matlab and Mathematica (Was Re: Windows and DOS for Free BSD )

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Doug Wellington wrote:

> Previously:
> >[...] Engineering classes here require matlab, which unfortunately is a
> >dos beast.  I'd LOVE to be able to run it (or Mathcad, even better) under
> >FreeBSD.
>
> I've seen ads in the Linux Journal for both Matlab and Mathematica running
> on Linux...  Anybody try running the Linux binaries on FreeBSD?  I may
> go ahead and upgrade my MS Windows versions of both Mathematica and Matlab
> to the Linux version (for use with FreeBSD of course!) if that works....
> (Hmmm, if that works, and I can find some decent OCR software, I might
> not ever need DOS again...  Ah, hell, I'm addicted, I'll never give up
> DOS - just like I can't give up old Chevys!)  ;-) ;-) ;-)

I run Mathematica under FreeBSD -- there's a handbook chapter on getting
it to run.  I hadn't heard that there was a matlab version ... my
instructor had told me that matlab had discontinued Unix support after
their version 3, which is kinda aged.  That's what got me upset, when I
heard that engineering required matlab, instead of the math department's
Mathematica.

> -Doug
>
> Doug Wellington
> doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
> System and Network Administrator
> US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office
>
> According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
> Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?
>
> FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
> Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...
>
> Just say NO to Netscape Navigator!

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |