Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 11:41:23 -0400
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphics card recommendations...

At 10:33 AM 5/16/98 , Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
>OTOH, I'm not sure if AGP has clear advantages over PCI. I suppose
>that AGP should improve the speed of transfers between the CPU and
>the adapter's video RAM...

I think the beneficiaries of AGP will really be gamers, particularly those
using 3-D accelerators.  That faster bus between the card and the RAM can
be used to move textures fast enough that main memory can be used to store
them.  Of course, this may ultimately prove to be a moot point, since
manufacturers are now making cards with 8 and 12 MB of dedicated texture
RAM, more than any forseeable games will use.

K.S.