Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 04:26:22 -0600
From:      "Robert Goff" <goff@aisling.cc>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfw in 4.3 release

I've got an issue with the 4.3 release I just installed.  Is it ok to ask
questions about the release branch here?

I'm using the machine as a gateway between my home LAN and the dial-up
connection to my ISP.  I have natd and ipfw configured for ip masquerading.
This configuration seems to have broken after the update from 4.2 to 4.3,
and I haven't been able to figure out the differences.

I'm using rc.local for intitial configuration:

/usr/local/sbin/mpd -bk
/sbin/natd -interface tun0
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

As you can see, I'm using mpd for the dial-up interface instead of ppp
because that's the one we got to work first.  Conditions are changing, and I
may go back to ppp.

The divert command is apparently failing; when I execute it in a shell, I
get what looks like a usage screen.  The gateway machine itself connects to
the internet fine, but none of the LAN machines can connect to the gateway
or to the internet. "ipfw show" throws a core dump when I try to look at the
current rules.  Can someone give me a hint?

(If I read the natd manpage correctly, the new version has a -dynamic switch
that tells it to detect when the dial-up interface changes IP.  That means I
won't have to HUP the natd process every time the modem connects?)

(Yes, I know the firewall is wide open; there are no external daemons
running execpt sshd, and it's a dial-up connection, and the LAN machines are
all running personal firewalls, and I just haven't gotten around to it, ok?
:)

--
Succeed in spite of management.