Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:31:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI A/V drives

[ ... thermal expansion ... ]

> > It *could* be predicted, if they stored a thermister value at format
> > time.
>
> Presuming you could get an accurate enough sensor close enough to the
> platters, and presuming that their expansion is linear across the
> disk surface.
>
> Only you can't, and it isn't.  And it's "thermistor", or in the case
> where you're trying to be accurate it's a PT100 or a thermocouple. 8)

Actually, the coefficient of radial expansion for various temperates
could be calculated from knowledge of the materials inside the box to
which you attach your electronics.

This is something a manufacturer should already know.

The problem is knowing location along an expotential curve.  The slope
of the curve is relative to the baseline, which you would establish
at the time you formatted.

So it *is* possible to predict where a radial line will be given
a known coefficient, the current temperature, where it was, and the
temperate at the time you determined where it was.

The problem in prediction comes from not knowing the temperature at
the time of format.

Even if you didn't know the temperature at the current time, if you
knew the temperature at the time of format, you could locate a post
expansion known track, and use it to interpolate the curve slope,
with knowledge that the expotential is radially bound.  This would be
a one track thermal recal instead of a whole disk thermal recal, since
you could get your temperature from knowing where you thought you were
vs. where you actually were.

In theory, you could look at the first track, the last track, and some
track in between (hopefully close to the first track) and interpolate
the curve (and thus the location of the other tracks) from there.

This would require a great deal of "embedded" knowledge about the
properties of the physical disk, and the calculation would probably
take too long without a known baseline.

With a known baseline, any track you read could, in theory, give you
enough information for a full recal.

As to putting the thing close enough to the platters: ugh.  That would
be a problem, assuming the actual and ambient temperatures were inequal.

Probably you'd have to be so exacting about thermal emissibity, and
therefore manufacturing tolerances, that it wouldn't be worth it.

Never mind that somm weeine out there will end up reformatting the thing
at some unknown temperature, right out of the box, so the damn thing
heats up as the format progresses, drastically skewing the baseline
value.  8-(.

Better to just do the recal, if your equipment isn't going to be used
in known conditions.

If you are going to engage in preemption, and it lasts long enough
to actually matter, then you would be well off to format the drive
at operational temperature, and maintain the temperature at the same
value as you use it.  So even if it matters in theory, there is no
longer any practical consequence.

Anyway, too much on this subject.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org