Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:08:23 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        -Vince- <vince@apollo.cosc.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current kernel problems

On Jan 8, 16:34, -Vince- wrote:
} On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

} > - Did you manage to install a more recent kernel ?
}
} 	Yep and it is working now...

Fine!

} > - Do you use any LKM's ?
} >   (A make world might fail to rebuild a LKM, and
} >    the incompatible LKM from an earlier build might
} >    be left alone in /lkm.)
}
} 	Hmmm, what are LKM's anyways because I had to delete everything
} in /lkm and then rebuild the lkm directory from /usr/src/lkm since it
} seemed like /lkm was all dated the same as the last make world.

Well, you ALWAYS have to rebuild all LKMs, if any kernel
data structures change! LKMs are Loadable Kernel Mdoules,
i.e. parts of the kernel that can later be loaded into
a running system to extend its functionality.

I.e. if you don't have NFS compiled into your kernel, then
NFS mounting some remote file system will first load the
NFS LKM (and crash your system, if the two don't match!).

} > - Can you boot single user (enter "-s" at the "Boot: "
} >   prompt, fsck the file systems and mount (r/o) your
} >   /var partition ?
}
} 	Yep, this works fine.  There is a problem however when I started up:
} starting local daemons:
} /usr/sbin/ncrcontrol: no symbol "_ncrp" in "/kernel"
}
} 	Any ideas?

Yes, and I thought I fixed this a few days ago.
I remember typing the commit message ...

Somebody made many driver symbols "static" (and this was a
very good thing!), but seems to have missed the fact, that
"nncr" is required for communication between ncrcontrol and
the NCR driver (well, and that was not obvious :)

Well, I just checked the CVS log, and I remember, that the
commit was interrupted due to a loss of the TELNET connection.

I'll try the commit later today, again. Now the line quality
is just too bad (tens of seconds delay ... )

regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160