Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:17:40 -0800
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>, "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ? about kernel size..

--yH1ZJFh+qWm+VodA

On 03/08/16 at 11:42P, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I'm looking at working on a new project that will use the FreeBSD kerne=
l. I
> > would attempt to embed the kernel on a very small NXP Kinetis chip. I've
> > previously done this using a Linux kernel but also had DDR memory attac=
hed
> > to the chip. This project would not have a DDR chip attached.
> >
> > So a couple of questions. 1 - What is the smallest size I could configu=
re
> > the FreeBSD kernel out of the box? Could I get the size to be less than
> > 10MB, 5MB, 2MB, or etc.?
> >
>=20
> I've managed to get this down to about 2MB or a bit smaller.
Warner,
Is any of that work open-sourced? If so, can you share how to got to that
small footprint?

> Compressed
> this can be a little smaller. It takes a fair amount of work, but it can =
be
> done.
>=20
>=20
> > I did a little bit of research on the PicoBSD and NanoBSD but that still
> > seem to be targeted to a little bit bigger chip than I have available.

Brad,
One thing you can look at is:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build

It has a bunch of mips and some arm configs.
IIRC, it can build something that can be flashed on 8MB for sure. You
may tweak that to get to probably even smaller image.

Cheers,
Hiren
>=20
> How big a chip do you have? NanoBSD currently needs at least
> 64MB (and ideally 128MB) of storage. PicoBSD can be a bit smaller.
>=20
> Warner
>=20

--yH1ZJFh+qWm+VodA