Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:24:09 +0100
From:      Luke Skywalker <luke@21.org>
To:        Keith Middlekauff <keithm@hprrc726.rose.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp and chroot

Keith Middlekauff wrote:

> What are the ISP's using for this functionality? Are you using the
> wuftpd or the standard ftpd in FreeBSD?
>
> How long has this functionality been there in the ftpd that comes with
> FreeBSD?

Hi,

I looked at the ftpd that ships with FreeBSD, and wu-ftpd. We're currently
running wu-ftp'd - and we use it's chroot facility...

I couldn't get the '@group' chroot facility working in the FreeBSD ftpd - that's
not to say it doesn't work, just that I couldn't get it to work in the time I
had available...

In the end we were swayed by wu because it's used by a lot of places - and
setting uo the chrooting / welcome messages etc. was a snap, in reality - I'd
really like one that chroot's and can do an internal ls... (wu doesn't appear to
at the moment - or again, due to lack of time - I can't make it do it ;-)

I know we're once again looking at the FreeBSD one - hoping solving the
chroot'ing myster is quicker than solving the 'internal ls' on wu-ftpd ;-)

I hope that helps? (Maybe not as clear cut as I'd have wanted to make it ;-)

Regards,

Karl