Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 95 20:51:21 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More devfs stuff

> > examples that list /dev/pty/00 as the format they want (for example).

[ ... ]

> > Repeat after me:  future expansion, future expansion...
>
> Then do it really right, and don't use leading zero's to imply an
> upper limit.  Look at the current /dev/fd, it works just fine and
> has no upper bounds (well, okay the minor is still a limit at what,
> 24 bits??).

The minor number is irrelevent.  A properly articulated devfs will
result in the death of specfs.

On the other hand, there are many reporting tools (ps, etc.) that
have a limit on the number of tty type devices based on a interface
identifier character and one or two instance identifiers (for ps this
is one).

A leading 0 simplifies some aspects of reporting and autogeneration
while only eating 10 (0-9 + 00-09 vs. 00-09) devices (a max of 10%
per increment, assuming you didn't find a distinction between 0 and 00
a bit too confusing anyway).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---