Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:22:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unable to install Webmin

I have tried several time to install Webmin, but without success.
Actually, the program does install, it just cannot be run.

After installing the program, I attempted to run the setup.sh script. This
is the output from that script.

Script started on Wed Dec 28 08:08:38 2005
*            Welcome to the Webmin setup script, version 1.250        *
Webmin is a web-based interface that allows Unix-like operating
systems and common Unix services to be easily administered.

Installing Webmin in /usr/local/lib/webmin ...

Webmin uses separate directories for configuration files and log files.
Unless you want to run multiple versions of Webmin at the same time
you can just accept the defaults.

Config file directory [/usr/local/etc/webmin]:
Log file directory [/var/log/webmin]:

Webmin is written entirely in Perl. Please enter the full path to the
Perl 5 interpreter on your system.

Full path to perl (default /usr/bin/perl):

Testing Perl ...
Perl seems to be installed ok

Operating system name:    FreeBSD
Operating system version: 5.4

Webmin uses its own password protected web server to provide access
to the administration programs. The setup script needs to know :
  - What port to run the web server on. There must not be another
    web server already using this port.
  - The login name required to access the web server.
  - The password required to access the web server.
  - If the webserver should use SSL (if your system supports it).
  - Whether to start webmin at boot time.

Web server port (default 10000):
Login name (default admin): XXX
Login password: XXXXXXXX
Password again: XXXXXXXX
Use SSL (y/n): y
Creating web server config files..
..done

Creating access control file..
..done

Creating start and stop scripts..
..done

Copying config files..
..done

Creating uninstall script /usr/local/etc/webmin/uninstall.sh ..
..done

Changing ownership and permissions ..
..done

Running postinstall scripts ..
..done

Attempting to start Webmin mini web server..
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
ERROR: Failed to start web server!

Script done on Wed Dec 28 08:09:53 2005

I have attempted to remove all traces of Webmin and reinstall, but still
it fails. I even removed and reinstalled Perl, but that made no difference
either.

I checked, and there are no optimizatons in my /etc/make.conf file, so
that should not be the cause of the problem.

What else should I look into to correct this problem?

--
Gerard
gerard@seibercom.net