Date:      18 Aug 2002 20:57:39 -0500
From:      chromexa@ovis.net
To:        Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Andy <seahorse51@attbi.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Re: Hotmail (was Re: Insider's scoop: Why FreeBSD is dying)

> ** Original Subject: Re: Hotmail (was Re: Insider's scoop: Why FreeBSD is dying)
> ** Original Sender: Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
> ** Original Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

> ** Original Message follows...

> Can we maybe stop debating this and just have our postmaster do what he
> can to filter this kind of noise out?  Recycled slashdot trolls are
> hardly the kind of content we want to see on hackers@freebsd.org and
> what goes on in IRC has been repeatedly made clear to have nothing to
> do with the project on any official basis, so we don't need discussions
> of IRC behavior on hackers either.  If we took it up in -hackers every
> time somebody dissed somebody else in IRC, we'd never have the
> bandwidth to discuss anything else.
>
> Filters?  Please?  Enough is enough.
>
> - Jordan
>
> On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 10:34 AM, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >> Remember that Hotmail is a part of MSN, and they would have a need
> >> for that
> >> many IP addresses, what with their "Internet content" service.
> >
> > Oh, I could definitely see Microsoft needing a lot of VIPs; they
> > would need one per unique, deployed services, and potentially one
> > per "branding" partner (depends on whether they expect a modern
> > browser -- "Host:" being set correctly for virtual hosting).  I'm
> > "pretty sure", that they have other address blocks, as well.  8-).
> >
> > For service availability, though, they would only really need a
> > small number of VIPs per colocation facility, for a large and
> > distributed service (basically, one per redundant virtual circuit
> > path for initial distribution).
> >
> > So if they were widely deployed, you would expect maybe 8 VIPs
> > per colocation facility... but you would not expect them to be
> > in a large, contiguous netblock: you'd expect them to be 8 here,
> > and 8 there, etc., based on geographic location.
> >
> > It's actually my understanding (I'm willing to be corrected here)
> > that HotMail is pretty centrally served, because of the protocols
> > involved, and because of their architecture.
> >
> > Anyway, I guess if I could get a full class B, I'd have one, and
> > I wouldn't be questioning *why* someone had been willing to give
> > it to me.  8-) 8-).  It just seemed mighty strange.
> >
> > -- Terry

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
> >
> --
> Jordan K. Hubbard
> Engineering Manager, BSD technology group
> Apple Computer

Pithy short comment that can seldom do. Well to expand on the Mark Twain saying, "News of the Demise of *BSD is greatly exaggerated."  News of  the demise of many people, places or things often is very exaggerated. As long as it doesn't spark endless messages. Let's see ...sorry for the anti-socially short reply to a long message, but I like to quote whold contents and none of us, AS FAR AS I KNOW HAS SUFFER WITH A 300 BAUD WORLD!!! :)

Have Fun,
Sends Steve