Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:25:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        steve@virtual-voodoo.com (Steve Ames), committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

> In some email I received from Steve Ames, sie wrote:
> >
> > *shudder* I really, really dislike the idea of -RELEASE actually being a
> > wide beta so that some code can get a workout. LAbel it beta and more people
> > will use it than currently do anyway. Any reason not to release and ship a
> > 4.0-beta? -CURRENT = development which scares people. Beta means most bugs
> > already ironed out and looking for test by larger audience.  -RELEASE should
> > not be a beta, ever.
>
> What do you think 3.0-RELEASE was ?
> This seems to be how FreeBSD works now.

It's how FreeBSD's users seem to want it to work, since they have utterly
refused to cooperate with any other arrangement.  Those of us behind the
release-engineering effort have tried everything realistic that's been
suggested (and a great many other things); history speaks for itself as
to the results.