Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:19:53 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        C Gray <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
Subject:   Re: a rant about soundcards and its endless dead-time

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:07:28 -0800
C Gray <frankfenderbender@council124.org> wrote:

> So, I ordered the Creative Sound Blaster Live! SB0060:
<snip>

> 	• Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! PCI Sound Card
> 	• General Features:
> 	• Interface: PCI

	Note PCI not PCIe or PCI-X but PCI an older bus standard. I
strongly suspect that when that card was designed neither PCIe nor PCI-X
existed.

> My search will never find anything, esp. given that the search engine war
> went to a company hell-bent on refusing the world use to its own history,
> knowledge, and tools: "Creative Sound Blaster Audigy" AND ("EMU10K2" OR
> "CA0100" OR "CA0101") AND "PCM" AND "MIDI" AND ("PCIe x4" OR "PCIe x8" OR
> "PCI-X")
>
> I was sent the following:
> Cards do NOT fit and run in any slot if the slots and card inserts are
> kept in the "need to know" zone.
>
> False advertising and planned obsolescence run the industry.

	I see no false advertising - it clearly states PCI not PCIe or
PCI-X.

> That isn't why I got my ASCST and BSCS degrees in the late 1980s.
>
> I have standardized slots for in my Dell PowerEdge T300 server as follows:
>    slot 1:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x4 with x8 connector
>    slot 2:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x4
>    slot 3:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x8
>    slot 4:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x8
>    slot 5:    3.3-V, full-length PCI-X

	Yep no PCI slots so why did you buy a PCI card ?

> The FreeBSD list needs to actually be based in less of a Venn-diagram

	FreeBSD will happily drive that card if you run it on a machine
with a PCI slot.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>