Date:      Wed, 4 May 2005 10:40:20 -0600
From:      Mark Carlson <carlsonmark@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-chat Digest, Vol 109, Issue 2

> Hmmm... Any one know if it's possible to get a speed controlled fan for a
> 3Com III Switch? Mine is going bad and since it's located in the living r=
oom
> makes for some slight problems. I've yet to tear the thing apart mostly
> because it's in a live environment. (Almost said production but
> realistically all I produce is crap. :)
> --
> Rick Hamell

If I read that right, you want to make a noisy fan quieter by reducing
its speed?  If the fan just started being noisy, that would be a
really bad idea, as the fan _will_ fail sometime soon.  A better
solution in that case would be to just buy a new fan (although they
are not the easiest ones to find.)  Any fan controller should work,
however, as the fans are just regular ones that are ~60mm (at least on
the two 3Com switches I have opened up.)  You may have to do some
hacking and slashing to get it in there, and you may need one capable
of controllng two, as some of those 3Com switches have two fans in
them.  The good news is that there is usually plenty of free space
inside the box to play around with, just be careful not to obstruct
the air flow.

One more thing to note:
The fans are usually mounted right between the power supply and the
rest of the circuitry, and although it looks like they are just used
to cool the power supply, those other chips get mighty warm sometimes.