Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 06:41:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:

> > I prefer GNU make to BSD make, but it's still not good advice.
> > FreeBSD uses BSD make, and if we start requiring two different makes
> > to build the product, we're going to have both procedural trouble and
> > lots of resistance from the core team.

I agree emphatically with staying with BSD make. This -is- BSD that we're
porting after all. Starting down the path of gmake will only make it more
difficult later.

> In the future, we can use gcc if it will support UltraSparc, but now
> no egcs no UltraFreeBSD. For the userland maybe we will have more
> problems. Anything will be compiled with egcs if gcc does not support
> Ultra, and this means we cannot distribute sources and the compiler,
> because we must use gcc for the userland.  (I think)

gcc supports sparc64-elf. I have gcc-2.7.2 built as a cross-compiler for
sparc64-elf (actually, I have the entire toolchain built). FreeBSD is
still using gcc-2.7.x as a compiler, so it probably won't be too difficult
to integrate sparc64 support.

I'll see if I can throw together some documentation by the end of the
weekend on how to build the toolchain.

--
Christopher Nielsen
Scient: The eBusiness Systems Innovator