Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:56:27 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd call for testers for RealTek 8139 driver

On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 06:33:22PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > #define quoting(Bill Paul)
> > // The 8139 isn't an NE2000 clone. RealTek does make NE2000 clone cards,
> > // but those use the 8029 and 8039 chips, which are 10Mbps only. The 8129
> > // and 8139 are fast ethernet controllers (the difference between them
> > // is the 8129 uses an external physical interface chip whereas the 8139
> > // has one built in).
> >
> > But the 8029 (and probably 8039 also) does have media select and full
> > duplex support.  Are there any plans to add support for these in the
> > ed driver ?
>
> No, not as far as I'm aware.  Full duplex on a 10Mbps card is really
> somewhat of a waste unless you have a 10Mbps port on a switch.  There
> aren't that many 10Mbps switches on the market to begin with, and if you
> have a 100Mbps switch, connecting to it with a crappy 10Mbps card
> doesn't make any sense.

I have a very nice HP 24 port 10Mbps switch. It has also 1 100mbit
uplink, plus a second slot for another 100mbit. If you do not have
the mgmt module, the 10 ports are 10 half. If you have the SNMP
mgmt module, you can set the 10 ports to full duplex. Price for
a 24 port incl. mgmt is around $1400. I am using it for colocation.
(plus I got a $750 rebatte from HP :-) ).

> All of the 80x9 cards I've seen have automatic media detection, so
> there's no need for driver support AFAIK.
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Regards, Ulf.