Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 1996 01:54:43 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports suggestion

James Raynard wrote:

> > Something I find very very annoying as a Newbie.
> > pkg_add a package, It drops ya right back to the prompt without
> > a clue on what to do next!
>
> Yep, this is "the Unix way" - you only get a message if the user needs
> to be informed about something unusual (a program working correctly is
> not regarded as unusual under Unix :-)

Ok, I'll buy that, And go for it!
No news is Good news. :)

less, is good example here, No setup needed!

> "man xxxxx" is a standard Unix-ism for finding out how to use
> something; Unix programs generally assume that the user knows how to
> use Unix :-)

Is it not in the best intrest of FreeBSD to encurage New users?
We all had/have to start someplace!

A simple 1 line: `See man xxxx(x) for documentation`, would point
the new user in the right direction.
xxxx(x) is not always easy to determine with some packages.

New users (at least I do) spend more time trying to find
documentation then reading installing and configuring the package.
Not a way to encurage people!

An example: wu-ftpd package, pkg_info tells a bit about what needs
to be done, (Thanks whomever) But it does NOT tell a person
where to find further info! It spews line after line of BRAG
and never tells a person where to find further help!
Heck, The samples are not even commented!
`man wu-ftpd` results are: No manual entry!

Apache, is nice, It tells you where to find help. albeit worthless
if one does not have a connection to the internet!

> If the package has some information in a different place, then I would
> certainly agree that there should be a message to that effect, eg
>
> "Sample configuration files for the gronkleblaster are in the
> /usr/local/share/gronkleblaster directory. These need to be customised
> for your site before attempting to run the gronkleblaster."

Amen..

> The "See pkg_info" information should really go in the Handbook entry
> on packages (has anyone got round to writing one yet?) as it's the
> same for all packages.

There is mention of the pkg_* commands, suffecient I belive!
My point was to stay one step ahead of the user by pointing to
the documentation. The pointer to the documentation could be
displayed in the pkg_info infofile.
Some do, some don't, All should!

I would think this would also be good for the Team by helping to
prevent some of these repetious questions.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848