Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 23:07:22 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>, hutton@isi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: throughtput measurements for fast ethernet

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> >    From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
> >    Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 08:48:13 +0200 (MEST)
> >
> >    Someone told me some time ago when I was seeking for similar
> >    figures (Garret ?) that FreeBSD can saturate 10/100 Mbit with
> >    appropriate CPU power. The only interesting question would be CPU
> >    utilization during transfer compared to other L-word OSs.
> >
> > I'd be more interested in seeing FreeBSD get low latencies, but as
> > long as you guys are bzero()'ing a structure on the stack of
> > tcp_input() for every packet that arrives just for T/TCP's sake, it
> > isn't going to happen.
>
> Interesting.
>
> a) I don't know how efficient the bzero() is (inline? #idef KERNEL?)
>    over a statementwise zeroing of a 20 byte structure and why this.

I tried it (actrually more).

After replacing the bzeroing of the tcp options and all the
bzero(&taop,...) in tcp_input.c, tcp_output.c and tcp_usrreq.c with
macros doing by-component zeroing I see 4-5% of improvement in both TCP
latency and throughput on my P75. But it is a kind of hack.

I can post the diffs if anyone is interested.

	Sander