Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:57:45 GMT
From:      rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lex/Yacc question

At 10:14 am 28/11/96, Andrew Stesin wrote:
>> >     echo This is an undelimited yytext[] to my eol to pass to echo()
>
>lex:
>
>[^\n]+\n        return UNDELIMITED_YYTEXT;
>
>yacc:
>
>UNDELIMITED_YYTEXT
>        {
>                echo($1);
>        }
>
>or something like the above (I used lex+yacc years ago).

I think that's right (except that yytext (ie $1) will include the trailing
newline which you may want to strip). The main pitfall to watch out for is
that `.' in a lex RE will never match newline.

IMHO, the original papers are still the best general texts on lex and yacc;
they can be found in the 4.4-Lite distribution under /usr/share/doc/psd.

Come to think of it, why doesn't /usr/share/doc figure in FreeBSD distributions?

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK