Date:      01 Mar 1998 16:28:24 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A 'make world' suggestion...

John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> writes:
> > That would not be good for the case where /usr/obj is the root of a mounted
> > filesystem (ie: in my case, /usr/src and /usr/obj are NFS mounted).  Perhaps
> > rm -rf /usr/obj/* would be better.  Either way, you're right; it's much
> > faster to toast /usr/obj in advance.
> There's an even faster way.  Put /usr/obj alone in its own filesystem,
> and replace the "rm -rf" with a umount - newfs - mount sequence.
> Newfs is the fastest version of "rm -rf" in the world.

With the added advantage that you can 'mount -o async /usr/obj', and
cut your make world time by half.

On a 166 MHz Classic Pentium with 128 MB 60 ns EDO RAM, /usr/src on
its own 256 MB partition mounted noatime and /usr/obj on its own 256
MB partition mounted async (both on an 4.3 GB IDE Quantum Fireball-SE,
unfortunately) and OFLAGS set to '-O -pipe', I make world (without
-DNOCLEAN and without nuking /usr/obj) in two and a half hours.

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)