Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:00:06 -0200
From:      Alex Soares de Moura <alex@rnp.br>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        DSA - JCR <juancr@dsa.es>
Subject:   Re: newby isp questions

Hello Juan,

DSA - JCR wrote:

>I would like to know if the configuration in which i am thinking is right
>or not.
>
>I have and ADSL modem (1Mb by now) connecting to an ISP.
>
>This is what I am thinking to do:
>
>- I must have a fix IP from my ISP.

That's ok for a (very) small start, but soon you'll realize that ISPs
need an IP address block assigned to them, from  a higher level
ISP or organization.

>- The ADSL modem will connect to a Firewall box (FreeBSD or m0n0Wall?). I
>am thinking in an old PC I have. Can this be made without Hard disk, only
>with CD?.

My bet is that a m0n0wall box is faster, easier to deploy and manage.
Yes, can be done from a CD, which is good for security, but bad for
performance.
For better performance, a HDD installation would be nice. For more
features, you
probably will like to take a look at the pfSense project: www.pfsense.com.

>- This Firewall connect to a PC with FreeBSD 6.0 and web capabilities
>(Apache, mail...).
>- In order to protect my network, I would use NAT, in the Firewall, and
>connect my PC to it as a gateway.

Looking from the security side, Internet services aggregation is better
done
in separate environments (hosts, virtual machines, jails etc.), so one
of them
don't pose a unnecessary threat to each other in your ISP environment.
Take a look at the references below.

>Questions:
>- Must I separate the Firewall/Nat from the Webserver box or can be the same?

Again, it's a security issue. What if the webserver is compromised? Your
firewall would be at  risk...
Another issue very discussed for a long time is that NAT is not
considered a proper security feature
tehcnology by network experts, and also that it breaks the end-to-end
concept and cause a lot of
trouble to some applications to function properly. "Security through
obscurity is no security at all".
See references below.

>- My ADSL modem uses USB to conect to PC, can I use it or is better a hub
>adsl type?

That's my personal opinion: try to avoid core network devices that
attach via USB in your ISP
infrastructure. Mostly because of driver compatibility and performance.
There is more support
for NICs in every operating system today than support for USB devices,
that have better support
in the Windows OS. Maybe this will change in the future, but that's my
opinion. This may not be
an issue for you, if all your hardware is well supported by the FreeBSD.

>- In the Webserver box, if I want to have diferent web domains,must I put
>each one in a jail? and what about the IP of each domain, only one NIC?.

Yes, you can have many IP addresses in one NIC and create jails to host
different domains.
Although, you'll spend more hardware resources (CPU, RAM) to run various
Apache instances
in each jail.
The Virtual Hosts feature of the Apache server can be enough for your
scenario. See below.

>Where can I learn about this? books?...

Yes, there are a lot of good resources of information on the Internet
and in books.
See the recommended reading list:

[1]
Network Startup Resource Center
http://www.nsrc.org

[2]
NANOG ISP Resources
http://www.nanog.org/isp.html

[3]
NANOG Mailing List FAQ
http://www.nanog.org/listfaq.html

[4]
Building Internet Firewalls
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/fire2/index.html
http://www.greatcircle.com/firewalls-book/

[5]
Practical Unix and Internet Security
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/puis3/

[6]
FreeBSD Planning, Installation and Security Tips
http://www.nsrc.org/freebsd-tips.html

[7]
NAT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT

[9]
NAT
http://www.networkworld.com/details/645.html

[10]
Security Considerations of NAT
http://safecomputing.umich.edu/tools/download/nat_security.pdf

[11]
TCP/IP Resources List
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/internet/tcp-ip/resource-list/

[12]
Simplify Your Life with Apache Virtual Hosts
http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4021

[13]
Installing FreeBSD 6 for Internet Server
http://freebie.miraclenet.co.th/server/install_fbsd/

Best regards,

Alex