Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:06:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI, about fonts on Xwindows

Atipa said:

> On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, J Wunsch wrote:
>
> > As John S. Dyson wrote:
> >
> > > away, because it is just a config file.  I cannot guarantee that you'll see
> > > a difference, but I think that I do.  The Adobe Type Basics (65 fonts)
> > > costs $100, which is a bargain price for the fonts.  However, that package
> > > is licensed only for one machine.
> >
> > Well, what about using font servers?  (I've got used to use them,
> > mainly as `poor man's multithreading'.)
> >

> That would be a big of a sin as NFS exporting them (But sir, they only
> reside on one hard drive!!!).

Someone in this discussion mentioned the type1inst-0.6 program.  It does
everything that you need for installing the fonts with GS and X.  It is
just what the "doctor ordered", and makes my posting of fonts.scale irrelavent.

The ports-meisters might be interested in this.  I am now running without
any 100dpi or 75dpi fonts, and am running Type1 scaled fonts and misc fonts
exclusively now.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org