Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:22:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Ctdm1@brisbane.qld.gov.au (David Elkin)
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M-systems DiskOnChip

As I recall, David Elkin wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Im trying to find out how to install Freebsd onto A DiskONChip. I cannot
> find any documentation at all. Could you please tell me if it is possible and
> if so point me in the right direction.
> Thankyou
>
> Dave
> ----

Funny, we're trying to do the same thing.  We have a 3.4-RELEASE
system that can talk to the DiskOnChip, but can't get a kernel to
boot up from it.

The device driver on the development system works.  We can mount the
DiskOnChip (as /dev/fla0s4a -- we fdisk'd and disklabel'd it).  We
can get a kernel installed on the DiskOnChip, and get the BIOS to load
that kernel into memory.  But we can't figure out what magic incantation
it takes to get the kernel to know where its root filesystem is.

The "kernel" config option in the config file seems to be being
ignored, and I can't grok the disk naming conventions in
/boot/loader.rc for the "rootdev" variable.

So we get as far as the kernel trying to change root to wd0a and
panicing.

I'll bet this is easy for someone who's done it.  And not to hard for
someone who knows his way completely around the 3.4 boot mechanisms.

Help?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net