Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34529: [patch] Grammar nits in usbd.conf(5) and usbd(8)

The following reply was made to PR docs/34529; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:12:40 +0200

 On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:16:53PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 [snip]
 > David Sieborger wrote:
 > > -Product Id	> -Vendor Id	> -Release Id
 > > +Product ID	> +Vendor ID	> +Release ID
 >
 > Hum, capitalization is prime time flamefest/bikeshed material.
 > I can't comment on this.  Someone with more 'english style' expertize
 > will probably know better.

 Thinking about it again (and looking in the dictionary), perhaps
 "I.D." might be better.  I guessed that "Id" must've come from the
 capitalisation used in variable names like "customerIdNumber".  But
 if this is a contentious point, perhaps it should be left unchanged.

 [snip]
 > >  Whenever a device is attached or
 > >  detached the list of actions read from
 > >  .Pa /etc/usbd.conf
 > > -are searched for a matching entry.
 > > +is searched for a matching entry.
 > >  If found, the corresponding action is
 > >  executed.
 >
 > `The list .. is searched.'  This is correct as it is IMHO.
 > I'm not a native speaker, and I might be wrong here, but this would
 > probably look OK, if written as the following:
 >
 > 	Whenever a device is attached or detached,
 > 	the list of actions (which is read from
 > 	.Pa /etc/usbd.conf )
 > 	is searched for a matching entry.
 >
 > or something similar.  What do you think?

 I agree, I think your suggestion improves that aspect.

 Rereading those pages now, I noticed a few more problems that I'd
 missed.  And as has been pointed out, my suggestions aren't perfect
 either.  I hesitate to suggest wholesale changes for lack of
 experience in this, and not wanting to tread on toes.

 It seems clear that the English usage in usbd(8) and usbd.conf(5) is
 not as good as it could be, and could benefit from some of the
 simpler corrections I've suggested and possibly a more thorough
 edit by someone more qualified than myself.

 --
 David Siebörger
 drs@rucus.ru.ac.za