Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:54:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SCSI Streamer

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

> No, I don't agree. A lot of QIC tape drives don't get emulated (it
> has to be emulated because they cannot actually *do* variable
> blocksize) blocksizes right.

We've been there before, Matt.  /All/ current tape drives have to
emulate variable length recording.  The last drives that could do it
natively were the reel-to-reel half-inch drives, and Stephen probably
owns the single one of them that is working under FreeBSD. ;-)  All
other drives, no exception, have some internal hardware blocking,
usually between 1 KB and 8 KB, for the media blocks.  Yet, you don't
usually notice this since they all provide a successful illusion of
variable-length recording to the outside.

QIC-320 and above are no exception to this.  All of them provide a
variable length emulation.  The only QIC drives that don't are (some)
QIC-150 drives (and even for those that do, you would not want to use
it there since the on-tape implementation is horrible and wasteful).

So in general, you can safely default to variable length recording
except for QIC-150 media (and well, for QIC-24 (60 MB), but i doubt
anybody's using that anymore).  This is what the pre-CAM tape driver
did, and nobody complained by that time.  It just works, and is IMHO
what other operating systems are doing as well.

There's one marginal difference in the variable-length emulation of
QIC vs. other media types, in that QIC can only handle at most one
logical block within a physical block. (*)  So if you try to block your
tape with some odd size that is not a multiple of the 1 KB media block
size, you're going to waste space.  Other media can stuff parts of a
logical block inside one media block.  But this is a pathologic case,
useful and used block sizes for tapes are typically 10 or 32 KB
anyway.

(*) No rule without an exception: if you use 512-byte fixed length
recording, they can stuff two logical records into one media block.